Why I Quit Instagram

https://id.pinterest.com/pin/369647081905902981/


I quit Instagram. 

Yup, I uninstalled Instagram, maybe about a month ago. I never really think about it, 'till I decided to do it.

I used to be so in love with Instagram. Who doesn't love the visual display that Instagram had? I love scrolling around on somebody's profile and a friend's profile. I never really knew where will Instagram brought me when I start to scroll around.

Maybe in the past year, I would say I can't live without my phone, and it's mean I can't live without Instagram.

At first, I enjoyed scrolling the Instagram's timeline. Seeing my friend's post, seeing other people's posts, seeing everything that Instagram user's posted. I have a favorite tab which is the Explore Tab. I love seeing stranger's post that shows up on the Explore Tab, even though I didn't know who they are.

Then, I realized that Instagram took my time more than it should be. I stayed up late, because of scrolling through Instagram's timeline. I don't want to do anything, but Instagram. I procrastinate in a hard-core level. I did nothing, but Instagram. My elbow was in pain because I have to hold my phone for a while. I might also feel my thumb was numb, but I ignored it. My eyes were so dry and tired.

And the disturbance started to not only in the physical level but also in a mental level. I mean, I feel something wrong, because it gives me anxiety like a lot.

About two years ago, I was graduated and started to ask too many questions about life. All my friends are trying to reach to any job vacancies wherever, whenever, meanwhile I never really want to work for somebody else's. I'm too busy wondering what am I want to do? What do I expertise at? What do I want to do next? Blah, blah, blah, blah.

After I was graduated, there is a spare time where I don't have many things to do. This where all it's started.

I start to use Instagram too often. And also, I start to mind other people's life.

I see that my friends posted about the holiday, work situation, accomplishments, and many more. I see a lot, and you know what it is.

And this was the thoughts I had at that time:

If I want to start searching the new job, I was too late. If I want to start a writing-freelance work, I have zero experience. If I want to be a professional musician, God knows my skill is not enough. If I want to be a violin teacher, oh God, I have just a few experiences and not a very good level of skills.

And then, I started to blame myself: I should've just applied for whatever the job vacancies are; I should have the chance to be an amateur-starting-like-a-professionals violinist, but I'm dumb; I should've paid the bills by myself, but I was unable to, etc. Because all of these things, I feel hopeless and worthless.

Those were the feelings I felt. It was real.
I only wrote some of the feelings that I encountered at that time. I don't want to write ALL the feelings because it was... you know.

I know the thoughts are coming from inside myself. BUT these thoughts were reinforced by the Instagram situation that I had explained before.

Those feelings were my best friend until at the beginning of 2018.

At the beginning of 2018, I moved for about 5 months. I need to do some stuff: reorganize my room, rebuild my networking, restart my journey, doing the college tasks, and many more! Then I realize that scrolling the Instagram all day long is ...  useless.

I start to not looking to the Instagram app too much. I start to not touching the Instagram icons. I start to not using Instagram too often. And I ended up uninstalling the app.

It was relieving.

I stop comparing myself to other people. I stop minding other people life. And the important thing is, I stop thinking that I am worthless.

Well, I'm not saying that Instagram is bad. Actually, Instagram is a great platform. You can use it to socialize or publish your work or even get some new friends and build a new network. It might also happen if I use Facebook or Twitter. If so, the title of this post will be Why I Quit Facebook or Why I Quit Twitter. It's just me and the way I behave on Instagram. 

https://id.pinterest.com/pin/707346685197374612/


Right now, I still have the thoughts like those (the thoughts I had at that time-red). But, it is more controllable. Because, hey, I'm just human.

I only use Instagram, and Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn and Line Timeline, if I have something to share. Recently, I watch many YouTube videos, BUT not the one which did the room tour, or vlogging about their vacation, or something like that. For now, I watch BuzzFeed, LadyLike, HiHo Kids, and Cut, and also Refinery29 (since I'm into fashion and beauty trends).


You still can find me around the corner. Just say hello to me wherever or whenever you see me. Oh, I am sorry if I can't keep up with the topic (that mostly be discussed on Instagram or so), tell me what it is and I will try to catch up!

Comments

Popular Posts